Being that it is Christmas time the classic It's a Wonderful Life starring Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed is playing again where the story of George Bailey through the assistance of apprentice angel Clarence learns the important impact he is unknowingly having on those around him... culminating in George realizing HIS LIFE IS WONDERFUL!
Just hours before the angelic intervention of Clarence, George Baily is stressed, depressed, desperate, and feeling hopeless to the point of contemplating suicide believing his life has been a waste never accomplishing anything of significance, and the world would not miss him in fact would be better off without him. So he whispers a prayer (while sitting at a bar) at the climax of desperate times.
So here I am Jeffrey ( George Baily ) Larson who at times feels a tad stressed and despressed, and other times feeling less than a success. Financially just getting by all while working too many hours and feeling limited in my abilities and resources. My body aches as I trudge into my 50s (kicking and screaming)... wincing in pain from arthritic joints, failing eyesight, a herneated disc or two, and in my case a surgically repaired knee reminding me my physical prime is in my rear view mirror... on the distant horizon.
While I do not have a Mr. Potter plotting my demise, I do find those in my life who wish I would not succeed in my sports officials assigning business, AND there are coaches, players, and delusional parents who believe any losses or failures they experience is due to the referees own biases and/or incompetence. THEN with regards to my creative efforts writing and drawing for The Back Pew there are those who find my attempts to share clean humor and God's truth to be neither funny or spiritual AND feel compelled to 'EXHORT' me with words that just fall short of damning.
Then, there are other realities I have to face.. I have a face made for radio, a voice made for email, and grammar and the spelling of an average 4th grader all while being oversensitive to what others think of me like a teenage girl with a big ol' honking zit on her nose as she primps for prom. LIFE IS HOPELESS! BOO HOO! So what is so wonderful about this life?
Ok, like usual I embellish MUCH to make my smirky points. THIS IS A WONDERFUL (dare I say BLESSED) LIFE!
1. I have a wonderful wife in my wonderful life that is my gift from God.
2. I am blessed with 3 kids who I love, respect, and appreciate,
3. I am blessed to have my 86 year old mom who I blessed with her love, support, and prayers!
3. I have a nice home to share it with different friends and family in their times of need.
4, I have employment in the arena of sports which I love and God has blessed me with abilities in.
5. I was raised in a loving Christian home which was never rich at the bank but was rich in love.
6. I have a wonderful Church heritage from the little town of Cable Wisconsin where I started my faith journey.
7. MOST IMPORTANTLY I have a personal faith in a loving God who sent His son to be born in a manger over 2000 years ago, raised by a carpenter and his wife, and then lived a life for man, preaching the way in words and deeds to salvation. Jesus then died on a cross, and was raised from the dead for all mankind. TRULY WONDERFUL!
Our prayers may not prevent the difficult days of stress, debt, and anxiety, BUT know that in this fallen world with all it's compromises and shortcomings God is there in the midst of it all. He hears our prayers, He loves each of us EQUALLY, and desires the best for each of us his children to where we see realize a WONDERFUL LIFE knowing our Heavenly Father.
The mutterings on life and faith by cartoonist Jeff Larson
Want to embed a TBP Cartoon on your website? Click Here!