Breaking Bad was the show where unassuming high school chemistry teacher and family man Walter White evolves over 5 seasons into someone who is truly bad. His life becomes a slippery slope of compromises, and his white lies turned into massive cover-ups until by series finale he is a ruthless big time meth producer, and responsible for countless murders. In the end, Walter White dies, his family is destroyed, and the wake of his truly bad choices on those around him was far reaching for both innocent and guilty. And (for those who did live) they all DID NOT live happily ever after.
Note: Reruns are available on AMC and I am going out on a limb, BUT I doubt Breaking Bad will ever make it to the Hallmark channel.
The interesting but agonizing tension for much of the series was that Walter White's bad evolution was done in secret. But as time moved on, his secret life of drugs and other crimes leaked out until these dark lies, and criminal acts eventually were exposed leading to his demise.
You see, Breaking Bad is the story of man. Here are a just few Breaking Bad Bible moments.
- Adam & Eve disobeyed God, and lied about it. Of course God was not fooled.
- Moses lost his temper, and grip on two stone tablets.. BREAKING BAD the 10 commmnadments,
- Samson was God's chosen Superman Judge but with an ego as big as his muscles he lost sight figuratively of the source of his great strength, and lost sight literally as his head was shaved and his eyes gouged out.
- King Saul .. chosen by God as the first King of Israel, but most of his royal reign was found on the same slippery slopes of ego and compromise reduding his life to sullen brooding existence. Saul attempted to kill David, and sought the help of a sorcerer shortly before in breaking bad form he died on the battle field.
- King David had an affair with Uriah's wife, and then arranged for Uriah to be killed on the battlefield in an attempt to cover up his lies.
- King Solomon was the wise king of Israel until he started collecting wives (700 of them) like other people collect stamps
- Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver, and in this one fell swoop went down in INFAMY.
- Maybe a problem with drink while hiding bottles.
- Maybe an attraction to someone other than your spouse.
- Maybe financial choices (credit cards, and purchases) that have dug a hole that cannot be climbed out of with any ladder we can purchase (on credit) at Home Depot.
- Maybe TV and/or the internet cluttering our minds with compromise that is just a click a way. 24/7 stimulation turning our brains to mush.
1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
Phil 4:8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
AND if/when we fall.. know the grace of our Heavenly Father is perfect. No matter how great or small your prodigal moment.
May God bless each of you with your journey.
Jeff (Bad Back in the Back Pew) Larson