Ever console yourself regarding your behavior, words, judgments, and/or circumstances that makes you look bad by qualifying a these moments by saying something like ..
“Well at least I am not like ‘so-in-so’. Or the infamous backwards apology that goes like…
“I’m sorry BUT” and the but is followed by a litany of excuses that makes your apology anything but apologetic.
"I'm sorry BUT your face got in the way of my fist?"
and just like that.. man grades his life on a curve.
So today I am going to console those of us with bad budgets, bad marriages, bad kids (actually they are not bad kids, only 'good' kids making bad choices), bad job, bad health, bad attitudes, or bad hair with.. men, women, and circumstances from the Bible and our world today.. that are intended to make us feel better.
Are you ready? Well let’s get started.
The Old Testament
- Yes my wife and I argue sometimes, but at least I never gave her away
- Nor had reason to tell my wife I was saved by a prostitute
- I have worked some bad jobs, but never as bad as guard duty on the Walls of Jericho.
- Yes I get migraines, but at least I never had a LITERAL splitting headache
- No I have not always liked my neighbors, but at least it never became.. violent.
- I will confess now and then I have occasional adult acne (argh) but at least it never went rogue!
- OK on occasion I skip my daily shower, but at least I never smelled like FISH BARF
The New Testament
- Not everyone agrees with my strong opinions, but at least no one wants me dead (that I know of)
- My Credit Rating may not be perfect, but at least my finances are not public knowledge.
- I have not always listened to God, but at least He has not used a Blinding Light to get my attention.
- I confess I have fallen in sleep in church, but at least I have never fallen out of a church pew (yet)
- Not everyone likes my cartoons but at least (so far) I am not the target of murderous 'anti-humor' zealots
- I have had a number of minor health issues over the years but at least I never been bit by a snake
- I confess to a few speeding tickets in my life, but at least I have not done jail time
- I am no Einstein, but at least I know the difference between figurative and literal.
- I am not a perfect husband, but at least I no longer THINK OUT LOUD... often.
And finally..- I may not be perfect, but at least I am not ONE OF THEM! .. sorry.. it is the cheese that made me do it.
So while life's trials and circumstances real, at least I never have to face them alone. This is not a Christian cliche' , but is our rock solid hope we have with Jesus.
Psalms 23 1 The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, 3 he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. 6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
May God bless each of you this day. May you be inspired by at least you never are alone in this life. If God is for us, who can be against us? Romans 8:31
Jeff (at least I don't attend a snake handler church) Larson
The mutterings on life and faith by cartoonist Jeff Larson